GAMSAT is open for students of any major. It is a standardized exam held once in every year. There is no structured material for GAMSAT. It is the toughest exam. It requires your intellectual ability. ACER conducts this exam. It is the initial step of selecting the best candidates for medicine.
Generally, the questions are tricky in GAMSAT. You need to have a good practice to answer the questions on time. GAMSAT has divided into three sections. Each section deals with different subject.
Also I have researched the topic areas and a good starting point for a syllabus is listed below. The best way of preparation is depending on the previous year’s question papers. Also we have certain subject ideas about the GAMSAT. We need to have knowledge about the below areas:
1. Humanities and Social Sciences
2. Written English communication (Basically the Essay writing skills)
3. Biology and Physical Science
a. 1st year university – Biology and Chemistry
b. Year 12 / HSC – Physics
It gives opportunity to all the students to write the exam well. Even non science and ESL student can score well in GAMSAT.
Arts students can score more marks in Humanities and social science. Literature students can achieve good marks in English written communication. Science students can score high marks in Biology and physical science. It is a great advantage for all the students.
It is very difficult to analyse the syllabus for Humanities and Social Studies. You may get any question from any chapter. Also for essay writing, good English written communication is significant.
Only section 3 topics are revealed. It is enough if you could complete everything related to 1st Year University -biology and chemistry and year 12 HSC physics. I would recommend you to focus on biology and organic chemistry as you get more questions from these areas. There won’t be many questions from physics.
All these questions test the reasoning ability and problem solving skills of the candidates.
These are all the popular materials for GAMSAT. You can make the best use of them. Also practicing with previous years question paper and Des O’Neil sample question paper shall help you more. Most of the questions in real GAMSAT are familiar to Des’s sample question paper. Also questions get repeated every year.
1. Des O Neil’s materials: Large numbers of students are using Des O Neil’s materials. The guides and materials are good enough to prepare.
2. Ozimed Test: There is ozimed tests helps to test the ability of writing this exam. Ozimed is the test with all the questions similar to GAMSAT. You can practice resolving problems. It will improve the ability of analyzing and reasoning.
3. Medired: It is useful for the non science students. It gives basic knowledge about the scientific concepts. It is expensive compared to other guides.